This is me.

I was never an expressive person, so it took me a while to start this essay. I am self-aware but my thoughts ramble too much to the point that I would stop thinking or analyzing my actions. However, I was also interested in studying the human mind. Integrating psychology into my self-analysis was a bit harder than what I was expecting. Nevertheless, this is who I am.

“Genetics do play a role in how you consciously or subconsciously manifest your true self.” — Ben Harper

I believe that every Filipino kid has heard the phrases “Manang-mana ka sa tatay mo!” or “Anak ka nga ng nanay mo.” I often would hear this growing up especially when I “act up.” For instance, if I do something mischievous, I would be compared to my dad. When my sassy attitude shows up, I am suddenly becoming my mom. That’s how my relatives would compare me to my parents. Intellectual skills, social views, interests, and personality are all strongly influenced by genetics. According to research, personality qualities like extroversion, neuroticism, openness to new experiences, and conscientiousness have a hereditary influence. In fact, it is thought that hereditary factors have some role in the development of all psychological qualities. However, I’d like to stand on my belief that a person’s personality is heavily influenced by their environment.

I know someone who is adopted. I can say that I’m close with their family since I would often sleep in their house. If genes have a major influence on personality, how come my friend’s personality resonates with her adoptive parents? That’s why I stand with behaviorists on the idea that personality is majorly influenced by their environment rather than the genes. 

Another instance is that I am an introvert, and my parents are not. I think what influenced me to be introverted is the fact that I grew up with the idea that being quiet means I am being good. This just didn’t come from my parents but also from the adults around me when I was a kid. I would often get praises for being a “good” kid because I don’t talk—as in I don’t complain.

This school of thinking, often known as behavioral psychology, holds that behavior can be studied methodically and observably regardless of underlying mental processes. Behavioral theory also contends that because intellect, emotions, and mood are so subjective, only behaviors that can be observed should be investigated. Strict behaviorists hold that everyone can be taught to accomplish any task, within the bounds of their physical ability, regardless of their genetic background, personality qualities, or inner thoughts. Just the appropriate conditioning is needed.

“So far, about morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.” ― Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon

When people talk about morals or principles of what is good and bad, it is always associated with an action that doesn’t get punished. The interpersonal influences of family, peers, and society have a significant impact on moral growth. Moral development is also influenced by intrapersonal elements, including cognitive shifts, emotional changes, and even neurodevelopment. The cognitive Kohlberg theory is concerned with the decision-making process that occurs when one decides if a behavior is good or negative. Therefore, the theoretical emphasis is on how one chooses to respond to a moral issue instead of what one thinks or acts.

When I think of the principles the person has, I usually base it on the process rather than the result. When a person hits someone, it would often be labeled as deviant, but, I don’t think people often took notice of the process that brought them to that action. Being exposed to a lot of kids made me conclude a lot of things about them. For example, when a child wants something, their first instinct is to cry without actually thinking. When an adult wants something, they work for it. Consequently, kids don't have the influence on their morals yet as they are still in the process of learning unlike adults. 

When I was in high school, I would often judge my classmates because of how they think. I would often judge those people that stick with the smartest person in the room. Their morals sit on the idea that in order for them to thrive, they would befriend the person who would “help” them. Of course, I’m not going to be a hypocrite and be clean about morals. I, too, have questionable morals. 

I have always been the “goody-good shoes” in the group. I would often point out what is good or bad. I would be the one who mediates the group. However, that comes with manipulation and gaslighting. Being the best person in the group means having the most authority. That’s what I strive for—authority. Being able to control the people around me without them noticing feels rewarding for me. This is heavily influenced by the men around me. Men are dominating and controlling in nature, so growing up in a household where my mom and I are the only women in a family of six speaks a lot. And, that’s where my morals stand. 

Our personalities have a big impact on how we perceive and relate to other people, as well as how we view ourselves in the world. A person's basic manner of thought, emotion, and behavior is referred to as their personality and is based on their fundamental drives and inclinations. Our personality features are a result of these underlying drives and impulses. Although personality qualities are "underlying," once a person enters adulthood, they tend to be very durable. That is not to suggest that people's personalities do not change; but, significant personality changes are rare unless they are the result of tragedy.

All of these concepts and ideology are heavily influenced by my great interest in Psychology. Studying psychology has numerous and significant advantages when it comes to knowing oneself and other people. You'll learn more about the causes of people's thoughts and behaviors as well as about your own actions and motivations. You'll discover more about the motivations and desires inside each of us. On the basis of that comprehension, you'll also get more empathy for other people, which will help you reduce your prejudices toward people who behave differently than you. Whether someone is a significant aspect of your life or someone you just interact with sometimes, understanding what drives individuals can help you build harmonious relationships with those around you.




Word: 1092

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrating My Bad Habit With Good Habit